Social.coop's official governance takes place mainly on its Loomio space. To manage day to day operations, the community empowers some members to participate in working groups.
- Community Working Group - moderation, and anything concerning members and outreach.
- Finance Working Group - payments, budgeting, fundraising, and related planning.
- Legal Working Group - oversight on legal matters
- Tech Working Group - all things hosting, site maintenance, and development.
Working groups (and their affiliated ops teams) are elected from and accountable to the membership, to execute the roles and responsibilities needed to keep social.coop running. They have greater administration access than would be afforded general membership, but work according to policies provided by their corresponding working group.
The groups are self-managed. Some are paid with stipends, while others are volunteer.
- The proposal to create admin op teams itself, and
- The related discussion thread.
As a general principle rather than a strict rule: in order to mitigate either burnout, or power accruing through the development of specialized knowledge, the rotation of team members is sought, along with a mutual education approach in which people who have the skills needed for the operations train their replacements.